Mental Bondage

(Dedicated to J.)

The power of a verbal command can be felt in a very physical way.

I think everyone has had the experience of being held to their word. That feeling you get when you feel obligated to do something; even though you know there is no way you can really be held to carry out that promise, you just can’t bring yourself to break your word.

Most people think in terms of a sub having to obey a command to stay still or to hold a position when they hear the term mental bondage. This is a very accurate description but it’s really only the tip of the iceberg.

When I truly feel submissive to someone I find myself incapable of breaking my word to them. Even if I know they have no way of knowing that I haven’t done what I was told to do, I still feel a compulsion to obey.

I’m not sure I recognized that compulsion until I was taught that bondage originates in the will of the dominant, not in the chains, ropes, or even in the consequences. I know I never really understood the connection between physical bondage and my submissive nature until I made that realization.

The cuffs and collars, ropes and chains, even the cage, are symbolic of the inner grasp the dominant has over me. They don’t have to exist in order for me to feel bound by his Will. I’m motivated by his self-determination. The more confident he is of his purpose, and his ability to bring that vision to life, the more compelled I am to join him in trying to make that vision a reality.

(I suppose it’s a type of charisma I’m referring to; that quality that we recognize in great leaders. Interesting thought; I need to explore that more…)

The bottom line (no pun intended) is that I obey, once I am compelled to obey…Not by force or by consequences, but by mental bondage. That mental bondage nurtures a strong devotion, a commitment towards a shared vision…

Interesting thought to explore. I imagine I’m only beginning to tap the surface of this aspect of myself, at any rate.

No comments: